Monday, August 1, 2011

Sucker Punch



I've always thought of Zack Snyder as one of my favorite directors. Watchmen, Dawn of the Dead, 300 are true new-ages movies, speaking fluently in the beautiful language of film. Visceral yet poetic, energetical but visually stunning, this is a directing style I get. And now there's Sucker Punch...
What a mess...
I mean really: a musical with crappy music, an action movie with bad action, a simple minded mindfuck... What is this film really trying to be? Everything at the same time? There's samurai demons, nazi zombies, robots and dragons - all crammed up in a Moulin Rogue style chick-flick? Poor Zack is in way over his head, no aspect of this very ambitious project works.  The visuals are average at best, the cast is remarkably weak, plot vague and uninteresting.
I have no idea why Zack Snyder made this film - whether he lost a bet, had a serious drug problem at the time or promised an orphan to turn her story into a Hollywood blockbuster, this has to be the low-point of his career. I really hope he recovers though...

Saiko

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers